With the release of the Omnia. many Windows Mobile Users are having a widget envy. but don`t feel it as strong enough for them to motivate them to buy a omnia either. so what to do?. how about being brave and installing the widgets yourself?. this is possible thanks to a project called FEwidgets.
This project got out of the now quite legendary Xda-Developers community forum where you can find the best Windows Mobile Hackers and part time developers around.
FEwidgets is a project that got initiated by Nicodega and since then it has been extended and supported by many other Xda-Developers and now counts with themes for the application but what is more important a growing library of widgets.if it looks like out of the omnia. that is no coicidence. there is even a theme to fully imitate the TouchWIZ widget sidebar.
You can now find over 20 widgets for the application and you can count many features too as you can see from this Quote out of the project page:
– Haptic feedback. When clicking on widget buttons you’ll feel a small vibration.
– Can be run as a Today Plugin. (It must be the only one selected)
– Multiple Layouts/Pages support (up to 4).
– Support for Landscape/Portrait modes.
– VGA/QVGA/WQVGA/WVGA support.
– Extensible/Open architecture. Anyone can create it’s own widgets just using flash. If you need something “special” and know some C#, you can extend available commands through a custom assembly.
– RSS Feed Reader New! usage
– Comming appointments
– Contact widget
– Date widget
– Battery/Phone signal Strength indicator.
– S2P Player control.
– Analog Clock
– Diamond like Clock
– Background Image Changer
– Bluetooth State (Can turn on/off)
– Wi-Fi State (Can turn on/off)
– Quick Dial.
– Layout swapper.
– Locker (locks widget dragging)
– Calendar (when tapped will link to \Windows\Calendar.lnk)
– Shortcuts Widget. This widget allows creating shortcuts to exe/lnk files. You can drop the widget as many times as you want.
– Missed Calls. Shows the number of missed calls. When double tapped will take you to the missed calls log.
– “Profile” changer. Lets you switch between On/Vibrate/Off modes.
– Weather. Shows you the weather for today. Current temperature and forecasted Min/Max for today.
– SMS information. Once you drop this widget once, if you remove it, it’ll spawn automatically the next time you have an SMS message on the same possition you had placed it.
Quite a great project indeed. you can also develop widgets that can work with the application if you know your way around flash. but anyone can use it because everything is free of charge. the only cost is a little time for you to set it up. FEwidgets can be used in Windows Mobile 5,6 and 6.1 pro. so that means around a 100 different phones are ready to go to try this out.
For more instructions and download links. you can check out the Project Page at Xda-Developers.
via WMpoweruser (they also got a video of it in action)