Posts Tagged ‘NOOK’

ClockworkMod Recovery for the NOOK Tablet (backup, restore, install updates) – Liliputing

January 23rd, 2012

ClockworkMod Recovery for the NOOK Tablet (backup, restore, install updates) – Liliputing.

I have to share this as it is almost unprecedented how cool this is!

Liliputing to the rescue for delivering this great news.

ClockworkMod Recovery is a utility that allows Android phone and tablet users to completely backup or restore their device, erase data, or install custom software. Up until recently there was no easy way to install ClockworkMod or any custom recovery on the Barnes & Noble NOOK Tablet, but hackers have made great progress working around the tablet’s locked bootloader recently — and now there’s a simple one-click tool for installing ClockworkMod.

ClockworkMod Recovery NOOK Tablet

A hint about Indirect’s recovery installer app.

Go to Liliputing.com to read the rest of this fantastic story!

Devs load early Android 4.0 build on the NOOK Tablet – Liliputing

January 13th, 2012

Devs load early Android 4.0 build on the NOOK Tablet – Liliputing.

Yes that’s right! You are looking at a Nook Tablet booting I.C.S. Android 4.0x

The Nook Tablet signed boot loader has apparently been cracked and development on porting CM9 (CyanogenMod 9) to the device is underway. 🙂 🙂

from nemith on XDA

So now that we have found the leaking crack in the bootloader and proved it’s usefulness fat-tire and others are going to start work on a couple of key projects that I could use a little help on.

This will also keep conspiracy theorists at bay who call me “extremely low IQ male rooster with social development issues” (Also I have no pies)

Here is how i see the next steps:

Strip down uboot (or other bootloader) and teach it boot from it’s own partition.

For example install 2nduboot in /boot, hijacking the signature check and then setting a 1MB offset to look for the real, unsigned boot.img. Repeat for recovery.

This is the real hold up and why there is nothing to “flash” as of yet. (still no pies)

Finish CWM. 100% done.
Completed. See recovery.img here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show….php?t=1440645

Work on CM9 for both SDcard and internal booting

Barnes & Noble doesn’t really want you sideloading apps on a NOOK Tablet – Liliputing

January 10th, 2012

Barnes & Noble doesn’t really want you sideloading apps on a NOOK Tablet – Liliputing.

The actual number of Barnes & Noble customers that want to ‘customize’ their device in this way is something like 3%. The other 97% of customers can surely support B&N in their hour of need.

The reason the NOOK Tablet has a locked bootloader and the NOOK Color does not, it turns out, is because of hardware security features built into the TI OMAP4 dual core processor in the new NOOK Tablet. In order to provide HD quality video from Netflix, B&N locked the bootloader for security purposes.

This is only a small part of the truth.

B&N wants to keep you in their ecosystem supporting their brand and not venturing off the farm to get that app that is actually supposed to be FREE.

Kindle Fire vs Nook tablet. I’ll show you which one wins.

December 3rd, 2011

AsrTechnica did a wonderful comparison of both of these ‘Media Consumption’ devices and based upon their extensive reviews and the fact that they won’t tell you which is the better device…I’ll tell you which one is the clear winner.

Nook Tablet

Hands down, this is the clear winner. It has a better screen and 512GB more RAM… and don’t forget that little MicroSD slot. These are very important considerations when you are talking about a difference of only $50

The ultimate decision from Ars was to not make a decision for you with this statement…

We’re not going to tally up the marks and declare a winner, because their respective values will vary depending on how you plan to use your device. Feel free to mix and match and decide based on the criteria you value the most. Need a better browser, want to turn book pages without bringing the device to its knees, and looking for superior hardware? A Nook Tablet is for you. Need a constant stream of apps, a good e-mail app, and a thriving content ecosystem? Go with a Kindle Fire. We could discuss the permutations ad infinitum, but it’s ultimately up to you to decide which device is best for your needs.

lame!

Amazon has the leg up on E-Readers (Kindle) but Barnes & Noble have more experience with tablets (Nook Color). In the world of Android based tablets… experience is key. The world is currently in the middle of 2nd gen devices (iPad2, Iconia2, Transformer Prime, etc.) Amazon is a year late and about $0.75 short.

source: ArsTechnica I love this site!

Website maintained by Happy Shoe Media LLC